When life keeps us from sharing our true & honest selves, music can connect us in our purest form. I'll post song & video dedications to friends, family, & followers, & share my own light through the music I love. I look forward to hearing what these songs say to you & which songs release your inner light.





4/21/10

Gleeology.

Glee! Seriously, if you haven't watched this show, I don't ever want to talk you again. Just kidding. Mostly. Except not at all. Okay, I'm kidding, but I will attempt to convince you to watch via some of the most moving Glee moments ever.  I affectionately refer to them as "Gleegasms". You by no means have to.  Except you should...

So let's start with some weepy time.  So many songs have made me cry on this show, and all hilarity and cheesy dance numbers aside, I have been sufficiently moved by this show on several occasions.  Oddly enough, the character I hated the most at the beginning turned out to be one of my faves. Dianna Agron is amazing, and when her character Quinn felt everyone turn their back on her because of her pregnancy, it was the Glee kids who stood by her.  I'm not a big Avril Lavigne fan, but again, the arrangement made the song so much better, and the look on Quinn's face as they sang it to her melted my heart, so much so that I had to find the video for this one, just so you could see it.  To anyone who's ever felt so rejected by the world, and then embraced by people who understand them, this-un's for you.

"Keep Holding On" - Glee

So I know last week was Madonna week, but you're absolutely full of crazy-bubbles if you think that'll be the last appearance she'll make on my blog. In fact, it'll probably be more shocking when she's not here.  Anywho, this week's Madonna episode was unbelievably madgeical (see what I did there?).  I spent all day facebooking Madonna lyrics to my friends and whistling Madonna songs at work, all while fighting the urge to skip, occassionally unsuccessfully.  I could go with the obvious choir anthem Like A Prayer, but in all honesty, it was the following mashup that blew me away. So lovin it. This one's for my friend Cam, who I hope spent all day twirling around his work station singing this song.

"Open Your Heart & Borderline" - Glee

A perfect close for this blog would be a song I just shared with a class I'm teaching on music & psychology. I've had some of the most amazing students this semester, who took on the task of defining their thoughts, feelings, and identities through music.  They not only made the class fun while still taking it seriously, but they also beautifully shared so many different parts of who they were.  They shared their triumphs, low points, happy times, and painful experiences, and when they asked me to close the semester by sharing a song of my own, I picked this one.  To me, it's about sharing who you really are with people, the good and the bad, and knowing that you are still beautiful and worthy of being loved.  The 10 students in the class did that so well and really inspired me, and this Glee-ed out song is for them.

 "True Colors" - Glee

And there you have it. I could go on and on about this show, but if you're not convinced by now, then you're absolutely hopeless.  And you're also a heartless kitten-puncher. Just kidding. Mostly. Except not really. Glee!    :)

6 comments:

  1. Love Glee! I had the same reaction to Quinn (initial dislike, now love), and I thought that version of the song was soooo pretty. I haven't seen the Madonna ep yet (GASP! I was sick and asleep, OK?!!), but my favorite Madonna song has always been "True Blue." I would sing it in my room with a hairbrush convinced that one day I would sing that song at Miss America. So obviously I was delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Good to know I'm not alone in my Quinn-Love. And I think you should totally find a stage for your rendition of "True Blue". It's never too late! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you hear there may be a 2nd Madonna episode? Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did hear that! It calls for a celebration! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I watched the Madonna ep on Friday and I've been singing "Vogue" ever since. :) Damn Sue Sylvester!

    ReplyDelete