When life keeps us from sharing our true & honest selves, music can connect us in our purest form. I'll post song & video dedications to friends, family, & followers, & share my own light through the music I love. I look forward to hearing what these songs say to you & which songs release your inner light.





5/24/10

Feel It In My Bones

Le sigh. It's been a rough week, hence the no-bloggy in a while.  None of the things that made the last 7 days a big suckfest were all that dire by themselves, but as frustration and disappointment just kept pilin on, I found myself sighing 'really?', in major Seth & Amy SNL fashion.   Sometimes I try to figure things out and predict things that I have no way of knowing, and my usual escape of songs can sometimes make me think too much.  That's why lately I've been appreciating a different form of expression. It's no secret that the right song can rip a few tears out of my eyeholes, but the emotion the folks below put in just the movement of their bodies is more powerful than 99% percent of the songs on my Ipod.  No overthinking, no restraint, just passion, movement, and soul. Le gush.

The first moment that comes to mind is definitely P!nk's "Glitter in the Air".  When she performed this at this year's Grammys, I was blown away.  The lyrics are gorgeous as she sings about taking chances for those brief and rare perfect moments in life, but her performance on the ropes as she twirls in the air spoke to the lyrics even better than her voice. I've watched it probably 100 times, and I still tear up a little bit. Your turn...

"Glitter in the Air" - P!nk

While she's best known for her awesomely choreographed, frantic, naughty in-your-face dance numbers, my favorite video by Paula Abdul is a ballad, and still one of the most beautiful videos ever made.  I remember being about 12 years old and mesmerized by this, over and over again.  If you loved "Total Eclipse of the Heart" from Glee a few weeks ago, you'll freakin eat this up (and nice try thinking I'd blog without referencing Glee....get real.)

"Blowing Kisses in the Wind" - Paula Abdul

The song that first sparked the idea for this blog was oddly one I hadn't heard in about 10 years, until I randomly played one of the first CDs I ever burned the other day.  I'd completely forgotten about the song, and while it's pretty, it was the dancing in this video that immediately came to my mind like I'd just seen it yesterday.  The words are a declaration of love, and the music builds to a beautiful climax, but the way the two dancers move and look at each other is the most beautful part.  This is exactly the kinda passion I want to feel with someone. Redonkulously pretty.

"Broken Arrow" - Rod Stewart

I so wish I could dance like these folks, but more importantly I wish I could express myself as freely and openly, without so much thought and concern.  I'm working on that, and hope to follow my emotions a little more than my thoughts of doubt and worry.  On a side-but-still-related note, what finally helped me kick my funk was getting to participate in a flashmob at our new airport. You can watch the flashmob here, and for those of you who've known me for a long time, did you ever think my shy, introverted behind could ever do something like this? Yeah, me neither.  But the cool thing about that (and all of the suck-tasms from this week) is that the only constant in life is that it keeps changing and moving.  And I kinda love that :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your flash mob experience... I've always thought life would be better with more spontaneous (or not so spontaneous) song and dance numbers. :)

    Sorry you've had such a crappy week... I hope this one is better! <3

    ReplyDelete