When life keeps us from sharing our true & honest selves, music can connect us in our purest form. I'll post song & video dedications to friends, family, & followers, & share my own light through the music I love. I look forward to hearing what these songs say to you & which songs release your inner light.





5/10/10

Momma.

In honor of the big M-Day, I wanted to post some momma-related tunes. Some sweet, some sad, but all relevant.  So without further ado...

My ultimate parenting song is by The Pretenders, but I've loved several versions over the years.  The lyrics in this song are what I imagine I'd want my kids to know that I felt, and I wish all parents felt this way towards their kids. I'm very lucky to say that my mom feels this way about me, but as I grow older and get less selfish, I find myself singing the lyrics to her as well.  It's a momma's unconditional love at its best, and it usually makes me teary.  I won't post the Glee version (and I could too, just so you know :) ), but the Carrie Underwood version is probably my favorite.  This one's for you momma :)

"I'll Stand By You" - Carrie Underwood

I feel very lucky to have a wonderful mother and I try to appreciate every visit, phone call, or email (yep, my momma got email :) ).  This message really hit home for me as I walked at our local Relay for Life this past weekend.  There was a video montage of people who'd lost love ones to cancer, many of them mothers.  This song has always gotten to me, but in this context, it was especially moving.  One of my best friends and one of the most amazing people I've ever met lost her mother a few years ago, and my thoughts were definitely with her this weekend as well.  This song's a tearjerker, so be forewarned if you listen.  But music for me isn't always just a way to celebrate, it's a way to get out those gutteral feelings that might be too hard to say or express any other way.   Anyone whose ever lost someone could relate to this one, and I think there can be comfort in knowing and sharing those feelings, especially with such a moving song like this one.

"One Moment More" - Mindy Smith

I definitely want to end on a positive note, and as two of my best friends and I were belting this soundtrack out this weekend, I knew immediately that it would make my blog.  Hairspray is amazing for so many reasons (Zac Efron, Michelle Pfieffer, Amanda Bynes, Zac Efron, Queen Latifah, Christopher Walken, and Zac Efron, just to name a few. Also , I think Zac Efron's in it somewhere......) But in all seriousness, Nikki Blonsky blew me away in this movie, and the relationship with her and her momma is one of my favorites.  I love how the character of Tracy was able to give back to her mom, so she could benefit herself from having raised such a wonderful daughter.  John Travolta's horrible accent aside (seriously, it's like a hick-skater-swedish-yankee nightmare) , I adore this song, and the message of young people making a better world not just for themselves, but for those that raised them as well.  Get out your caftans, cuz....

"Welcome to the 60s" - Nikki Blonsky & John Travolta

I'm a firm believer that the best of us comes from how we're nurtured and protected as kids, and mommas are a large part of that for many of us.  I'm very blessed to have had a wondeful mother and for every day that I still have her in my life.  (And I feel the same way about my dad, but that blog's a good month away. :) ).  Love you momma!

1 comment: