When life keeps us from sharing our true & honest selves, music can connect us in our purest form. I'll post song & video dedications to friends, family, & followers, & share my own light through the music I love. I look forward to hearing what these songs say to you & which songs release your inner light.





5/5/10

I Love The 80s - Part 1

Yeah, part 1, cause you know a sequel is just around the corner.  This week was totally 80s in my world and I had a super tough time picking three tubular lil numbers.  So I'll just to have to save the other radical choices for future moments, knowing full well that the 80s are hiding in the shadows, waiting to strike again soon...

When I think 80s, my first thought is Olivia Newton John, my very first musical obsession.  Picture 4 yr old me frolicking around my house in my Karate Kid pajamas, blasting "Physical" from my Playskool tape player (or don't, depending if that image terrifies you).  I was a little man-diva (not to be confused with Man-disa) and I hadn't yet become aware that my interests were a wee bit different from the other young lads.  These days I know, but I don't so much care (knowing is only half the battle).  So picture my joyful face when ONJ herself popped up on Glee this week, with an updated mix of my very first favorite song (not to mention a hilarious video).  Let me hear your body talk.

"Physical 2010" - Olivia Newton John

So Glee reference aside, why was my week so 80s you ask? Well it was mostly due to a spectacular 80s party I went to.  My friends and I all dressed up in neon jumpsuits, Miami Vice jackets, headbands, leggings, and all kinds of totally awesome gear. We danced like maniacs, and when a classic Cyndi Lauper tune came on, we went nuts (mostly trying to reenact all of the head-bobbing choreography in the video, and not doing very well at all).  But it's super rad to have so many friends who loved the same things I did as a kid, so unleash your fun-lovin inner girl and join us below :)

"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper

Did you know I love a show called Glee? I'm not sure I've mentioned it yet, but I don't like to go on and on about things I love. (Except sarcasm, I could go on and on about that all day).  This song totally wasn't on Glee last night, and it didn't make me swell with all of the passion and emotion of the original song for one second. It wasn't at all amazing, and I'm definitely not going to post the Glee version below. Not even a little.  Because it wasn't on Glee.  Did you know I love sarcasm?

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" - Lea Michele

Hope everyone has a gnarly week and I hope you take a second to look back at the wonderment of the 80s.  Realize how tubular it was, and realize how old you feel now.  Not me though. I'm in my neon pink jumpsuit, with my Playskool tape player to my ear, and I just wanna have fun. Turn around bright eyes.....

3 comments:

  1. Great post! How I love that literal video of Total Eclipse of the Heart... could watch it all day. Could also listen to Lea Michele sing that all day. Le sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. best blog ever! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I totally had OLJ's "Physical" record! Yes, I said record. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete